Skip to main content

Assignment #7 - Social Media Critique



Recently I just learned that Instagram is now under ownership of Facebook. I personally understand the perks of the partnership, but the similarities are almost uncanny. I don't understand the purpose of having both websites if they generally are the same. Instagram focuses mainly on pictures and short videos, but with the implementation of the story feature rigged from Snapchat it almost makes all of the social media platforms the same.



I understand the need to evolve steadily and I agree with some of Facebook's newest implementation such as reporting suicide options and even being able to unfollow someone without unfriending them. An article on Forbes' website explicated all of the reasons why Facebook bought Instagram and they even went so far as to say" Because Facebook is having a midlife crisis, and the acquisition of the beloved, hip photo-sharing app is its equivalent of buying a sportscar". I love both social media platforms respectively, but I personally feel as though the merge of the two has dampened the authenticity of Instagram because all of it's features have been milked into Facebook.

Comments